It can be difficult to be a family member, friend, or coworker of someone who is experiencing domestic violence. Here are some tips on how to help yourself as well as the survivor in your life.
- Express your concerns
- Listen to them and validate their experiences
- Be accepting
- Work on a safety plan together
- Educate yourself on the complexities of domestic violence.
- Empower them with information about services, such as Steps to End Domestic Violence
- Support their decisions
- Call our hotline in order to get support and information for yourself
Do not expect a quick and easy remedy. Domestic violence is a complex issue.
Remember: The one who perpetrates abuse is the one with the problem. It is not the victim’s responsibility to stop the violence.
You can say:
- I am very sorry that this is happening to you
- I believe you
- No one deserves to be abused
- It is not your fault
- I am concerned about your safety